I was born during the blizzard of ’96 on Madison Avenue in
New York City. When recounting that night, my dad told me that there were no
cabs in site and only one man driving around doing hospital runs. Luckily, my
parents rode with him to Mt. Sinai Hospital on 98th Street where I
was born on January 9th at 11:47 pm. This was not the story I heard
when I first asked my parents where I came from. They told me that they planted
a seed in our garden, a seed given to them because of their love for each
other. Every day, they would go to that spot in our garden and water it until a
flower bloomed and I was there. I loved Thumbelina as a kid so I’m assuming they
tailored their story to one of my favorite fairytales.
My ultimate
goal in life is to help people who don’t have access to the resources and
institutions to help themselves. It seems as if I’m on the path to getting
there. For the next two years, I will be joining the Teach for America Los
Angeles Corps during which I’ll be teaching middle school Science. Afterwards,
I hope to attend Medical School. Once a physician, I’d like to volunteer with
organizations such as Healing the
Children to provide care for those who do not live close enough to a
hospital or clinic to receive the treatment they need. It is my father who
inspired this part of me, and he has become my role model for what I aspire to
be. He travels with Healing the Children
three times a year to offer cleft lip and palate repairs to those in need. While
I did inherit his passion, I’ve also inherited some of his worst traits. We’re
both lazy, messy, and pretty stubborn. My mother gave me her physical traits
rather than personality. If you were to look at a photo of her at my age, you
would assume we are the same person. I wish I had been blessed with her work
ethic, as she is the type of person who does the work she’s meant to right away
and doesn’t put it off until the last minute (like I typically do).
I have four
older sisters and throughout my life I’ve found that I often compare myself to
them and what they achieved at my age. While I tried to avoid this, I created
expectations of myself that were hard to amend since they, in some way, became
a part of me and who I thought I should be.
I feel a
special connection to flamingos. Flamingos are social birds who typically live
with a flock of around 71 birds. I grew up with four sisters and two
grandmothers, and currently live in my sorority house with 60 girls. I enjoy being
surrounded by people and love always having someone to talk to.
When I was
just a few years old, my grandmother would take me for walks in Central Park. Whenever
we would pass by dandelions, I would pluck them out and offer them to her as
some sort of bouquet with any other flowers I could find. My grandmother is
always so happy when she retells this story, and I hope that the people I help
will talk as warmly of me as she does.
Hey Alessandra,
ReplyDeleteI think it's so cool that you're going to do Teach for America for the next 2 years! One of my friends is in her second year as a physics teacher, and it seems like she's having an amazing time! Good luck!
Hi Alessandra,
ReplyDeleteI never knew you were born during a blizzard! I find that so interesting. I also love that you connect most to flamingos! What a fun animal to connect to!
Best,
Emily