This second half of the book was easier to read than the
first. I felt as if Kurt became a little more lighthearted, and he joked a
little more often than before. My favorite chapter of the book was when he
described the apple syrup. If you were to ask any of my friends what my favorite
food is, they would hands down say maple syrup (I have actually gotten the
reputation of “maple syrup snob” in the friend group). Kurt states that the one
he makes is his “local version of maple syrup: brown, thick, sweet and of the
land.” Since I am from New York and most maple syrup is made locally in Vermont
(only a couple hours away from where I live), I have never tasted apple syrup.
Truthfully, I want to go to Kurtwood Farms just to try it! In this same chapter
is my favorite quote from the book, “like a 401(k), fruit trees grow with
compounded interest”. I thought this was something funny that a lot of people could
relate to. He made this same type of analogy in the last chapter when he uses
Zeno’s paradoxes from Calculus to explain that he’ll never be able to fully and
completely live off the land.
Growing a Farmer: How I
Learned to Live Off the Land taught me a lot the food we eat everyday, especially
information that I wish I had known a long time ago. In the first half we get
this image of gross-looking, mush-like meats being cooked into meals at
restaurants. In the second half, we learn how animals are slaughtered,
butchered, and then served literally from farm to table. Kurt tells us that he
likes knowing where the food he makes comes from. He likes milking his own
cows, making his own cheese, raising his own animals, etc… He wants to live off
his land as grandly as possible. His goal was to be self-sufficient, and I
believe he achieved it (even if he still has to go to the store to buy salt and
pepper). And as a college student, I think his most useful tip to us it not
create debt! (Guess I’ll start building my sustainable farm now…)
No comments:
Post a Comment