Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Coagula Curatorial

I went the Coagula Curatorial art gallery with Emily and her roommate. I had never been to Chinatown before, so I was excited to see what it was like. The architecture was amazing! The buildings looked really nice. The part of town we were in wasn't very busy, and I noticed a few people sitting on the benches outside, just taking in their surroundings. I took a photo of the alley right outside the art gallery, which you can see below.



I loved how there were lanterns hanging in the street. I want to come back and explore the other art galleries in the area.
The art gallery owner, Mat Gleason, was sitting down and talking to his friend when we walked. We found out later that there was some drama in the art gallery owner world; his friend was upset by something he had posted on Facebook (his friend owner her own art gallery just down the street). While speaking to him, we found out some more details about the exhibit. His wife was actually the curator! He walked us through a few of the pieces (Emily's roommate was doing a video project for one of her classes, and she was interviewing him.) He was very knowledgeable and was able to share a lot about the artists' works. I took photos of my favorites from the exhibit which you can see below:
Rough Map of the World by Patricia Liverman

                                                   
                                                       Ring of Fire by Patricia Liverman

As you can tell, I favored one artist. Gleason also explained to us that Liverman uses paint chips, and she sprinkles them on the canvas to see how they interact with the paint. He also invited us to smell the paintings and see if there's a scent of oil. He explained to us that it takes years for oil paint to dry, so that's why they smell so strongly of oil.
I learned a lot during this experience and am so happy I was able to speak to Mat Gleason while I was at his art gallery!

No comments:

Post a Comment