Monday, February 5, 2018

Expert Article



Latest in Superfoods: The Coffee Bean
Did you know drinking 3-4 cups of coffee a day is actually healthy?

Like most Americans, I start most days off with a good cup of Joe. I’m not fully awake until I’ve smelled that fresh Keurig coffee smell and taken a few sips. To be honest, I enjoy drinking coffee. I have heard coffee can be addictive, so maybe I’m confusing my enjoyment with addiction. Nonetheless, if you’re like me and you can’t get through the day without that cup of java, you might be happy to hear that coffee is one of the healthiest foods that exists. Studies show that drinking coffee is extremely beneficial towards your health, and that it may even extend your lifespan.

Because coffee is one of the most widely consumed beverages around the world, researchers have been studying it for several decades. Two years ago, the World Health Organization took coffee off of its list of potentially carcinogenic foods – an act that almost never happens – in response to increasing evidence supporting coffee as a healthy food (Shmerling).

Why is coffee so good for you anyway?

Coffee consumption has been associated with a lower risk of developing many different diseases and disorders. These include Alzheimer’s Disease, Parkinson’s Disease, cancer, diabetes, heart attack, liver disease, and stroke. Evidence suggests coffee plays a role against the beta-amyloid plaque that causes Alzheimer’s Disease, and in activating parts of the brain that are affected by Parkinson’s Disease (Harvard Health Letter). Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties may contribute to anticancer activity (Harvard Health Letter). Regular coffee consumption is associated with preventing insulin and blood sugar levels that lead to diabetes (Harvard Health Letter). The prevention of liver disease seems to benefit the most from coffee consumption (Poole). Studies suggest cafestol and kahweol are linked to this. Coffee also has protective properties against liver cancer, stroke, and heart attack (Harvard Health Letter). Drinking coffee is also associated with lower mortality rates (Poole), and lower depression rates (Hensrud).

What makes coffee so healthy?

Caffeine

Caffeine is the main ingredient in coffee. It contributes to higher attention levels, increased alertness, and improved physical performance (Coffee & Health). This is the reason I drink coffee – to feel a jolt of energy after having a rough wake-up. An average cup of brew contains 100 mg of caffeine. The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) states that non-pregnant adults can consume up to 400 mg of caffeine a day without risking their health. Pregnant and breastfeeding women can consume up to 200 mg of caffeine a day. The lethal dose of caffeine is 10 g, or 100 cups of coffee (Harvard Health Letter).

Antioxidants

Antioxidants are substances that decrease harmful molecules which can damage cells. For example, lack of antioxidants can lead to diseases such as atherosclerosis, a condition in which our arteries harden because cells in the walls of the blood vessels are compromised (WebMD). The main antioxidant in coffee is called chlorogenic acid. Many researchers are studying chlorogenic acid and its benefits for glucose metabolism. They predict that it is beneficial in that it inhibits mechanisms important in the production of glucose (Meng et al.).

Cafestol and Kahweol

Cafestol (CAF-es-tol) and Kahweol (KAH-we-awl) are the main components of the oil found in coffee. They belong to a class of compounds known as diterpenes (a terpene is a type of steroid). Diterpenes are antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and antispasmodic (relieving spasm of involuntary muscle) (Tirapelli et al.). Cafestol and Kahweol are in the oily droplets and grounds that float in unfiltered coffee. Preliminary research has shown that cafestol and kahweol may have anticancer effects which are lost when they are filtered out (Harvard Health Letter, 2012). But, these two substances have also been linked to high levels of low-density lipoproteins, “bad cholesterol” (Urgert and Katan). As a result, people at risk of heart disease are encouraged to drink filtered coffee, i.e. coffee low in diterpenes.

Magnesium and Potassium

Although minimal, coffee does contain some vitamins and minerals since it’s a plant-based drink. On average, a cup contains about 7 mg of magnesium, which is about 2% of a woman’s daily requirement and 1.7% of a man’s daily requirement. It may not be a whole lot, but drinking a few cups of coffee does provide at least some of our needed daily magnesium (Harvard Health Letter).

A cup of coffee also contains about 116 mg of potassium or 2.5% of our daily requirement. Just like magnesium, it isn’t one of the main ingredients of coffee, but your daily cup of Pike Roast from Starbucks does contribute to your vital mineral consumption (Harvard Health Letter).

The negative side effects of drinking coffee (that aren’t even that negative)

How Much Is Too Much?

All the health benefits discussed above are true when someone drinks no more than three to four cups of coffee a day. Drinking more than five cups a day starts to reverse these benefits (Park).

Putting Women At Risk

One study suggests that women consuming more coffee are at a higher risk of developing fractures. Pregnant women who drink higher levels of coffee have higher rates of miscarriage, premature births, and underweight babies (Park).

Potential Dangers of Coffee Consumption

At high temperatures, you are at risk of burning yourself and irritating your esophagus. If you drink coffee that is above 149˚F, then you are at risk of developing cancer, specifically esophageal cancer (Loomis et al.). Consuming a lot of unfiltered coffee, including espresso, can lead to higher cholesterol levels (Hensrud).

Coffee Additives

It is also important to remember that adding cream and sugar to your coffee can affect your health. These additional ingredients have their own associated risks that may negate the benefits of drinking coffee.

Some Annoying Things About Coffee

Consuming large amounts of coffee leads to frequent urination (since caffeine is a diuretic). This is probably the side effect of coffee that irritates me the most. Other bothersome effects include impaired sleep, a jittery feeling, and in some cases, anxiety. As these are all minor negative side effects, I find they are outweighed by the benefits of coffee consumption.

I personally love coffee. The fact that there are now health benefits associated to drinking three to four cups of coffee a day only adds to my love for it. Next time I go to Starbucks, I might even opt for a Venti Veranda blend.

Works Cited

4 comments:

  1. • How well do the first and second level headlines pull you in and tell you what the article is about?
    I like the first headline - clear and loud.
    Maybe you can a second headline to explain more. Some fun fact, or something interesting about coffee, maybe like how much American consumes coffee

    • How well do the first and second paragraphs capture your attention, introduce the topic and focus, and establish the scope of the discussion?
    The introduction paragraph is descriptive and resonates with most readers.
    I really like how you mentioned the positive stuffs and negative effects.
    • Are you distracted by anything? For example, typos, grammar, layout, etc.
    - I’m not sure, but do we have to capitalize Joe for “a good cup of Joe”? – please check with Professor.
    - Maybe instead of saying “Two years ago, “, I would just say in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alessandra,
    I think that your article is very good and I also enjoy drinking coffee. I think that you should properly cite the websites that you used as reference.
    Haochen Shi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alessandra,
    I enjoyed reading your article. As far as the headlines, maybe you can consider adding a second one. As Claire suggests, a fun fact could help attract more the attention of the reader. Your introductory paragraphs were catching and explained what you were going to talk about. I like your layout. It very organize and easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alessandra,

    I found something we have in common. I am a big coffee lover, and I also plan to open my own coffee shop in the future when I go back to China.

    I like your both first headlines, they are so clear. Because I think for business writing or planing a marketing plan, potential readers won’t click to read more if you don't have a good headline. Next time, when you do your headline, instead stick with language that is simple, but powerful.

    ReplyDelete