Maple Syrup
I truly love maple syrup. Ever since I was a kid, I can remember loving the taste of maple syrup. It isn’t just any maple syrup though – it has to be real, pure maple syrup. I’d rather have no syrup than the Aunt Jemima brand. Whenever we go to breakfast places, my mom and I bring our own maple syrup because we know that most don’t carry real maple syrup. My friends make fun of me for this, but I feel like if I’m paying for it, I might as well enjoy it. I wonder if my love for maple syrup stems from the fact that I’m from New York which is relatively close to Vermont, the place where most maple syrup is produced.
When I was younger, I went to a maple syrup farm in northern New York. I remember tasting sap from the source before it is turned into the syrup I love and enjoy. The farmers explained to us that the darker the color of the syrup (i.e. the darker the grade), the more flavor it has. We even got to try a little sample of each grade! This was one of my best experiences, and it probably contributed to my love for maple syrup.
I also love how versatile maple syrup can be. Not only can you put in on breakfast foods like pancakes and waffles, but also on some meats like turkey and bacon, or it can be used as a supplement for sugar in baking. I personally love to put maple syrup in my plain Greek yogurt. I add in a few nuts and it’s the perfect snack!
Hi Alessandra,
ReplyDeleteI have a friend who religiously eats Greek yogurt and am going to tell her to try adding maple syrup into it. Also, I'm wondering what your favorite maple syrup is?
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteHi Danielle!
DeleteI like Grade A Dark Amber! As long as the bottle says 100% pure and Grade A, I buy it.
Alessandra,
ReplyDeleteYour maple syrup farm experience sounds amazing. Personally, I like the taste of maple syrup but find that it is too sweet if I eat too much of it. Just wondering if you have ever eaten maple syrup like the Canadians do? (Where they boil the syrup, pour it on fresh snow, and then pick it up with a stick)
Hi Kathy!
DeleteNo I never have tried! Maybe next winter when I'm home I will :)
Hey Alessandra,
ReplyDeleteI love putting maple syrup in my plain Greek yogurt too! That's literally what I eat for dessert everyday. Do you have any recommendations for maple syrup?
I think it's also good as a tea sweetener if you like to sweeten your tea! I have also baked with it before and used it as a replacement for sugar in the recipe.
Delete